Across urban and rural communities, firms and philanthropy employ a variety of organizational structures and strategies to spur innovation and economic development. My research examines the viability and impact of these attempts.
- Joint with Lauren Lanahan and funding from NSF SciSIP (Awards #1661157 and #1548288)
- Examining the impact of early federal funding on career outcomes and research productivity.
Social Enterprises & Hybrid Firms
- With the Price Center for Social Innovation
- Examining the relative impact of hybrid legal structures and social enterprise on pro-social behavior and innovation in contrast to traditional for-profit and nonprofit firms.
- With the Center on Philanthropy & Public Policy and Charity Navigator
- Examining the impact of third party ratings on nonprofit reporting and the role of ratings and overhead expenditures on revenues
- Examining the relative effectiveness of strategic philanthropy in increasing innovative outcomes.
Academic R&D Funding
- With Janet Bercovitz and Maryann Feldman and funding from NSF SciSIP (Award #1158755)
- Examining the growing role and impact of nonprofit funding on academic R&D